Friday, July 28, 2006

Grounded #2-6:
While I am waiting for my new shipment of comics to arrive with Civil War and OYL goodness, I have decided to thumb through some comics that I haven’t read. One of them was the series Image’s Grounded. I was putting off reading this comic because I was missing issue 1, but for some reason I decided to read them anyway.

The good news: Superheroes are real. The bad news: You're not one of them. When Jonathan is sent to a high school for super-powered teens, he's forced to abandon his dream of having powers and deal with the reality that he's the only kid without them.


Missing the first made it abit tricky to learn all the characters, but it was a great read. This comic has its moments with witty and inventive solutions. I also enjoy on Mark Sable’s take on the teenage superpowered beings. He understands that teenagers don’t want to take responsibility yet in life and want to enjoy life first. So in one scene in issue 3#, Jonathan is getting pounded by the hologram robbers and his classmates all flee instead of fighting. Jonathan gets upset and asked why they aren’t acting like heroes. The answer was quite shocking to Jonathan. They don’t want to be heroes. They rather dream up schemes to use their power to become rich and famous instead.

I love the art. It fits well with the comic and very stylish. But again the writing is what stands out in this series. I did not enjoy Wildstorm’s take on high school life with the Intimates. I know that there are different types of stories. Intimates is more of a slice of life piece and Grounded was more typical straight story. But so me the characters from Grounded were more appealing and interesting. Either way, I highly recommend this series in 6 floppies or trade…now I got to find someone with issue #1. RATINGS: STORY-9/10 ART-7/10

No comments: