Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Damn you podcasting!

Well, last month I posted that I was not planning to buy the Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman #14. But after listening to Peter David on About Heroes' podcast, he convince me to go ahead to purchase that issue. So I'm going to throw my hard earned $3.00 your way.

I recently got an Ipod and have discovered podcasting which has increased my monthly spending on comics. Podcast is another medium for comics artist and writers to the word out on their products. A lot of time they provide tid bits of information that can't be found in the solicitation blurb in Previews.

For example on Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman #14- "It's the return of Peter Parker's old flame, Deb Whitman! Unfortunately for Peter, she's written a tell-all memoir about her relationship with him, entitled "How Spider-Man Ruined My Life." Ouch! As if that weren't bad enough, the Vulture has been set loose from prison to scavenge for Spider-Man, but who's behind his release and what nefarious scheme do they have up their sleeve?"

Initially, the blurb did nothing for me. I had no idea who was Deb Whitman was and had little interest in the Vulture. So based on the lines from Preview, I was not going to order these issue and was planning to drop the issue. Then comes the About Heroes' podcast with Peter David. In the podcast, he briefly mentions the F-N Spidey and that was enough for me to order it. Deb Whitman was apparently an old girlfriend of Peter Parker that uses to date in high school. Peter drove Deb crazy between his secret identity and Spiderman. Peter David plan to run crazy with this story, plus throwing some unexpected twist like Betty Brant (another old girlfriend) in to the mix.

Again damn you podcasting...

No comments: