Monday, February 13, 2006

BPRD: Black Flame & Revelations:
Well, it is back to work. Vacation is way too short. I was planning to post a couple more reviews before going back to work. I was going to cover 2 Dark Horse titles: BPRD:
Black Flame and Revelations which both series just ended. Now that I have to work, the reviews will be shorter. With these non Marvel/ DC mini series I like to read them after I get all the issues in and read in one big lump. It seems to make more sense to me, until of waiting month after month. There are it advantage of doing that. One, you get the sense of the whole picture. Two, less waiting between issues. And three, it nice to take a lazy weekend to read comics. (Of course, you may ask why not wait for the trade... I'm not organized to plan ahead and figure which trades I want ahead of time.) The disadvantages are if a series bomb, you can't stop buying those issues. Two, there is no time to "marinate" between issues. You can't imagine and anticipate what is going to happen next. And lastly, you are not up to date with your comic book reading peers.

BPRD: Black Flame 1-6: BPRD is back again for another series. (I always wonder why don't just make this an ongoing series.) And boy this comics flies. The plot moves quickly. An new villain is introduced. An old enemy is back with vengeance. A friend dies and a warning of this to come.
This series has become one of my favorites. It comic is fun like
Noble Causes, with supernatural twist. Mike Mignola and John Arcudi maintain and propel the excellent storyline, while adding new detail to the already rich history of the Hellboy world. Reading this series in one sitting is highly recommend, 'cuz you won't be able to wait for the next issue. Guy Davis's art has been an excellent fit to the mood and environment. RATINGS: STORY- 9/10 ART- 8/10

Revelations 1-6: Humberto Ramos and Paul Jenkins has been hot combo. There work on the Spiderman titles has been highly acclaimed and praised. Personally, I'm a huge fan-boy of Ramos. Always loved his work on Impulse, Flash, Crimson, DV8, and Out There... (again big fan.) So when I heard of this title, I was a giddy like a little school girl.
Detective Charlie Northern is sent to Italy for what appears to the murder of a high ranki
ng religious official. Little does he realize what is in stored for him. Love, murder, and of course cult members...
To be frank, I was very disappointed with this series. I am not sure what the team was trying to accomplish with this series. A little noir, a little horror, and a little mystery, unfortunately not enough holding my attention. Ramos has not top of his game on this one. This is one series that should have stop after the 1st issue. (On a brighter note... I can't wait for Ramos work on
Wolverine.) RATINGS: STORY- 4/10 ART-5/10

No comments: